Monthly Archives

May 2015

USNBC Champion Melson to speak to Lodi students!

By | Uncategorized | No Comments

New York, NY (May 21, 2015) – Newly crowned WBC-USNBC 154 pound champion Boyd “Rainmaker” Melson will serve as a special guest speaker at Thomas Jefferson Middle School Friday, May 22 in Lodi, NJ.

A 2003 West Point graduate, Melson serves as an Army Reserve Officer, donates 100% of his purses to Teamfighttowalk.com and works a full time job. Between his aforementioned commitments along with training and making weight, Melson’s had to overcome many difficulties both personally and professionally. As a professional boxer, the native New Yorker’s built an impressive 15-1-1 record with 4 wins by knockout. On May 8, he scored the biggest win of his career, dominating Mike Ruiz over 10 rounds to capture the WBC-USNBC championship.

During his speech, Melson will discuss what it’s like to get knocked down by life when pursuing dreams, how to stay focused on goals, choices in life and the different paths life could take a person based on those choices.

“I’m very thankful for the opportunity,” said Melson. “There are many kids that need the proper guidance or fuel to light their fire. I believe everybody has the potential to make something of themselves. What it comes down to is making the right choices and staying on track even when life throws you a curveball. My goal is to relate to these students and inspire them to stay focused while making smart choices for their futures.”

Layoff not a concern for Melson ahead of title fight!

By | Uncategorized | No Comments

New York, NY (May 7, 2015) – Eleven months ago, popular 154 pounder Captain Boyd “Rainmaker” Melson was training for a career changing fight with contender Glen Tapia. Against Tapia, who is considered amongst the top rising stars in America, Melson was taking a significant step up in competition and training like a madman so he’d shine when it mattered most. Unfortunately, an injury forced him out of the bout and a rematch was never scheduled.

Between other opportunities not coming through and obligations outside of the squared circle, Melson’s been inactive since a gutsy February 2014 win over Donald Ward. Against Ward, the 2003 West Point grad literally fought with one arm, overcoming a stretched brachial plexus which caused temporary paralysis in his right arm during the last five rounds of the bout.

Tomorrow evening at the Westchester Hilton in Rye Brook, NY, Melson returns from the fifteen month layoff to face charismatic Mike “El Cangri” Ruiz. Melson-Ruiz is scheduled for the WBC USNBC junior middleweight title, with the winner likely working their way into the world ratings. Fighting in his first ten rounder and serving as one half of the main event, Melson is confident that he’ll be sharp as ever even with the layoff.

“On paper, I’ve been out of the ring for over a year and I know a lot of people see that as a reason for concern,” said Melson. “The truth is I never got out of shape and once my body healed, I was right back in the gym. After suffering an injury during the Olympic Trials, I was inactive for more than two years. Since then, I’ve only lost one controversial decision in 16 pro fights. Personally and professionally, I’ve overcame things much more challenging than the inactivity. I have felt fresh throughout training camp and don’t see any problems tomorrow night. The goal is to beat Ruiz convincingly and move on to challenge one of the world’s top rated fighters.”

Born in Puerto Rico and based in Long Island, the popular Ruiz has a significant experience advantage in the paid ranks, having faced a number of contenders. Overall, his record stands at 17-8 with 9 knockouts and some insiders believe he’s a step up for Melson.

“Ruiz is a tough and battle tested fighter,” stated Melson, who is 14-1-1 as a professional with four knockouts. “He has faced some good opponents and always comes to fight. I know that he’s viewed as a step up for me and I’ve been ready to step up for awhile now. Regardless if it’s by decision or knockout, I’m fully confident that I’ll earn my 15th victory tomorrow evening.”

The card is promoted by DiBella Entertainment in association with New Legends Boxing. All of Team Fight To Walk’s tickets are sold out but may still be available by calling DiBella Entertainment at 212-947-2577.

After his fight with Ruiz, Melson will continue his pledge assist in curing chronic Spinal Cord Injuries by donating 100% of his purse to Team Fight to Walk in support of America’s first trial of its kind.

Team Fight to Walk is comprised of Melson, Zaccagnino, former Rutgers football player/ESPY honoree Eric LeGrand, two division world champion Paul “The Punisher” Williams, two-time cruiserweight champion Steve “USS” Cunningham, Austin “No Doubt” Trout, title contender DeAndre “The Bull” Latimore, Edgar “El Chamaco” Santana, Sonya Lamonakis, Hector “Machito” Camacho Jr., WBA Middleweight champion Danny Jacobs, WBO Junior Middleweight titlist/2008 US Olympian Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade and fellow 08’ Olympian Shawn Estrada along with prospects Sid “The Messenger” El Harrak, Jeff “TNT” Spencer, Denis “Da Momma’s Boy” Douglin, Will “Power” Rosinsky, Floriano “Italiano” Pagliara, Danny “Little Mac” McDermott, Vinny “The Lion” O’Brien, Ahmed “Prince of Egypt” Samir and Delen “Sniper” Parsley.

For more information or to make a donation, go to teamfighttowalk.com or Justadollarplease.org. All specific questions about the nature of the Clinical Trial to cure Spinal Cord Injury can be sent to bamstrong1981@gmail.com. Fans can also interact with Melson via Twitter @BoydMelson or Facebook.com/Boydmelson